Youth Worker Portrait


I was in the tenth grade when I started slacking off in school and putting my homework on the back-burner. My parents started arguing more, no way to concentrate and always worrying about what would happen next. I would attend school just as an escape from my home life. I was now failing two classed and my parents were called in to have a meeting with the school principal on some ways to help me pass. It was because of that meeting that I met my student support teacher, Mrs. Barlow. I remember walking into her small room for the first time and her greeting me with a huge smile and saying, “Whatever happens in this room, stays in this room.” It was warm and welcome, I finally felt a sense of relief.

As the school year went on Mrs. Barlow and I formed an inseparable bond. She was my home away from home, my go-to, someone I could finally rely on. I opened up to her about my home life and how it made me feel and the reason behind slacking off. Student support offered me extra time on homework, extra time on tests and quizzes but the biggest blessing it offered me was a place that felt like I was being heard and supported. At home I felt like I was never heard, or that my feelings never mattered. I was told that I could have tried harder, or why didn’t you put in more effort. Whereas, Mrs. Barlow showed me that everyone is different and we always have something special to offer in this world. I remained in student support up until senior year, it was more than just a support room it was my home. It was a room filled with trust, support and love. Because of Mrs. Barlow I never felt alone during high school, she was my rock and a positive mentor in my life. She guided me into graduating high school, applying for colleges, and supporting my good and bad decisions in life. She held me up when I was down, and cheered me on when I accomplished my goals.

Because of Mrs. Barlow, I have a positive change in my life. Mrs. Barlow guided me into helping me believe in myself. She was there for me when I felt like the world was against me. Because of her I strive to be a better person for young individuals in my life. I chose Mrs. Barlow because she has helped me see the positive in everyday, she has shown me trust and has been my biggest support. She is also the reason behind why I chose Youth Development and the importance of young people and the impact we have on them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on YDEV

Caring for Children

KLM Refection Blog Post #2